The Atopic Dermatitis Market
Atopic dermatitis is a chronic, non-contagious, inflammatory skin disease triggered by various immunological and environmental factors. Susceptibility to atopic dermatitis is genetic and those who develop atopic dermatitis commonly have a higher incidence of other atopic diseases, such as asthma, allergic rhinitis and conjunctivitis.
While atopic dermatitis occurs in individuals of all ages, it often starts in infants aged 2-6 months, with an estimated 90% of patients developing the first signs of the disease prior to the age of 5. By the age of 14, approximately 75% of individuals experience marked improvement in the severity of their atopic dermatitis, with the remaining 25% continuing to experience significant relapses during their adult life. It is estimated that over 40 million people suffer from a form of atopic dermatitis in the seven major markets and in the US approximately 10-20% of children and 2% of adults are affected by this condition. It is also estimated that the global sales for the top four leading products for the treatment of atopic dermatitis is in the $2 billion range, while the global sales for the dermatitis market in general is estimated at $6 billion.
Current treatment options for atopic dermatitis primarily include topical corticosteroids and immunosuppresants (e.g. calcineurin inhibitors) but its chronic use is often limited by side effects. Due to the side effects caused by the currently available treatment options, and coupled by the fact that this condition is mostly prevalent in the pediatric population, the need for safer and well-tolerated therapeutics remains significant.